Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Reading Notes: Ramayana (Krishna Dharma), Part A

Since this week is free reading, I decided to revisit my favorite stories. The Ramayana contained my favorites, so I am reading a modern retelling this week. I look forward to creating more cool stories from the Ramayana as I take more notes. Since I have read the Ramayana before, I will focus my notes more on the writing style and things that I want to write about.

  • My initial impression of this retelling was how easy it was to read
  • The modern language makes it so much more relatable and easier to follow
  • I also noticed the amount of detail that went into describing the mood of the scene
  • Descriptive details were used constantly to paint a picture of how individual characters were feeling
  • I also noticed the amount of meaningful dialogue that was used
  • It really helped create a more realistic situation
  • This is something that I definitely want to emulate with my writing
  • I really enjoyed reading over the creation of Rama
  • It was awesome to see the dialogue of Vishnu as he insists that he must be born as a human to defeat the demon Ravana. 
  • This is something that I do not remember from the previous versions
  • I would like to create a more dialogue/detailed story in the future
  • This kind of writing style was present throughout this retelling
  • The events that take place are mostly the same
  • However, the writing style is what stuck out to me


(A photo of books in a library. Source: Pixabay)


Bibliography: Ramayana: India's Immortal Tale of Adventure, Love, and Wisdom by Krishna Dharma. Source: Vedabase.

No comments:

Post a Comment