Thursday, April 12, 2018

Reading Notes: Ramayana, Part B

So, I continued with the second half of the reading today. I looked for different storytelling styles and things I could learn from. I did not really take many notes about the stories themselves because I have read them multiple times.


  • Again, I noticed the amount of detail placed within each story
  • The mood of the scene is always described very well to the reader
  • You can feel when the situations are tense and dire for the hero Rama
  • I really liked the foreshadowing that occurs throughout the chapters
  • The second half of the reading prepared you for terrible events that will occur in the future
  • I especially noted the dialogue to be very pronounced and intricate 
  • This was evident with Kaikeyi and her servant
  • They go back and forth for a greater part of the chapter
  • I would somehow like to emulate this writing style
  • I have found it difficult to recreate dialogue successfully
  • I have also found it difficult to make it as intricate as the story does
  • The way that Kaikeyi is swayed by her servant is very powerful
  • You can feel the conflict within her mind as she hears what her servant has to say
  • It is a slow poisoning that eventually drives her to betray Rama 
  • This was sad to see because she had so much love for Rama
  • The exile of Rama was also tense
  • I found this event to be as heavy as it was in the original
  • Everyone adored Rama and wanted to see him be crowned as the next ruler
  • I think I will possibly write about this event for my storytelling


(Another photo of a library. Source: Pexels)

Bibliography: Ramayana: India's Immortal Tale of Adventure, Love, and Wisdom by Krishna Dharma. Source: Vedabase.

No comments:

Post a Comment