Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Reading Notes: Mahabharata, Part A

The start of the new reading began today. I really enjoyed some of these stories. I think the reading style is easy to follow and entertaining. I took some notes over the stories that I liked the best.

  • Each character is introduced with an elaborate backstory
  • I usually do not write much about character's before their introduction
  • I might try this kind of writing style
  • I liked the first few sections that gave the read a lot of information
  • I found that it can be a bit too much at times
  • There are lots of names to learn quickly and apply to the reading
  • I think I could maintain my own writing style while also adapting to these stories
  • I would like to possibly write a whole story as an "intro"
  • The idea of taking women in battle was one that I had not seen 
  • I was expecting a more heroic adventure or tale
  • Taking the women as victors for a battle was a bit different
  • The stories are definitely more on the erotic side as no details are held back
  • I found this to be a contrast from the Ramayana
  • I think I could retell Pandu's life and some of his brief adventures
  • It was a but unfortunate the way he passed
  • He had been cursed and would end up dying in the arm's of one of his wives
  • I think there could be some cool stories to tell from this
  • I could also just create my own stories
  • What if he did not sell his possessions and go live in the forest?
  • Would he have survived the curse?
  • I would like to explore this idea a bit more
I found that some of the stories contain lots of small bits of information. I noticed everything builds upon itself as new characters are constantly introduced along with new kingdoms.

(A reading squirrel. Source: Pixaby)


Bibliography: The Mahabharata, A Summary by John Mandeville Macfie. Source: PDE

No comments:

Post a Comment