Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Online, Part C

I continued with the reading of the third part of the online domain edition. I have continued to enjoy these stories and the creativeness they have to offer. I again took notes over the one or two stories that I liked the best.


  • I found the Pandavan exile to be much more saddening that Rama's exile
  • I think Rama maintained a sense of appreciation and hope
  • However, the Pandavan's came across as angry and bitter for what had happened
  • This is understandable
  • The loss of their kingdom and fortune is devastating
  • I think it would be cool to explore the stories not mentioned in the online edition
  • I could write about their travels and stories with the different sages in the forest
  • The promise of the return of their kingdom in due time is somewhat redeeming
  • It ensures that not all hope and drive was lost
  • The arrival of Krishna brings about a new fold in the story
  • His dialogue is lengthy and contains a lot of detail
  • He explains that his next actions to restore the kingdom are not easy
  • Draupadi does not have the patience to see her kingdom restored
  • She has anger and sadness in her voice as she longs for material possessions once more
  • Yudhishthira offers great advice and explains to her that she must forgive
  • Anger is never the answer
  • Draupadi begins the question the gods and how they could allow such travesty to occur
I think the internal conflict that the exiled group is experiencing is really important. I could write about a section of this and explore this conflict. Yudhishthira is very patient and does not jump aboard the train of sadness and hate.



(A photo of a book. Source: Flickr)

Bibliography: Public Domain Edition Mahabharata, from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. Source: PDE

No comments:

Post a Comment