Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Reading Notes: Ramayana Online, Part D

I finished up the reading for the Ramayana today. This was definitely an interesting and unique experience for me. I do not think I have read an epic in quite some time. It was really cool to read about the adventures of someone as powerful as Rama. I took notes over the most favorite sections of mine in part D.


  • I read the battle scenes and instantly knew this is what I wanted to write about
  • The scenes capture so much emotion and violence
  • I love the fact that Rama and the monkey's are teaming up together
  • The demon forces of Ravana are very strong
  • It looked grim for a while for Rama and his comrades
  • The demons did not fight fairly on the battlefield
  • They resorted to magic and tricks to injure and kill Rama and his men
  • I did not expect the tides to turn for Rama and his men so easily
  • Lakshmana appeared to be dead and hope did not seem evident
  • I did not expect the help of Garuda
  • I think it would be really cool to detail what Garuda did as he healed the Rama and his men
  • Kumbhakarna was a terrifying and ferocious demon
  • Just as the tides seemed to be turning in favor of Rama, more bad things happened
  • I think the battle between Rama and Kumbhakarna went largely untold
  • I have so many cool things I could include in this fighting scene
  • Kumbhakarna killed thousands of monkeys and took their king
  • It would be awesome to detail these events and put some emotion into the story
These last few sections were some of my favorite in the entire epic. The battle scenes described here were truly awesome and entertaining. There is so much I could do with these battle scenes. The monkey king and his people were some of my favorite from the entire epic. Reading about Rama and the monkey kingdom fighting together was truly incredible.

(A photo of Rama battling titans. Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Bibliography: Ramayana Online from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. Source: Blogspot

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jake! I decided to comment on this post because I realize you do your reading notes a lot different than me. I like how you bullet point things because that makes it easier to come back and reference. I take the approach of writing a paragraph which gives me more detail in my notes but I also can't reference as easily as you can.

    ReplyDelete