Friday, February 2, 2018

Week 3 Story: The Exiled Son

I had finally returned to the kingdom that I had been missing for so long. I was eager to see my father as it had been quite some time since I was able to embrace him. I missed the people of the kingdom. There were many people that I had longed to see since my long journey began. I missed my mother, Kaushalya, and my brothers. I was anticipating a warm welcome from the people of the kingdom and my family. I had heard a rumor that I was going to be crowned as the Yuvarajah (crown prince) upon my return to the kingdom. I was excited to see if this rumor would come to fruition. I had long awaited this moment, and I was hoping that my father would finally recognize me as the crown prince to take his place once he is gone. This was something that I had dreamed of for years, and I did not want to be met with a disappointment.

As I returned to the palace I noticed the vast amount of decorations that adorned the walls, ceilings, and halls. There was a joy amongst the people, and I could tell that their was excitement on everyone's face. I strutted into the throne room and immediately saw my father sitting on his throne. I was very eager to greet him. I continued to march forward. However, as a I got closer I noticed that something was wrong. My father looked sick. His face was sagging and he looked pale. He did not have his normal glowing face. He looked like he had been poisoned by something or someone. I saw that one of his queens was hanging on his shoulder. She was whispering in his ear and starting at me. I looked intently upon Kaikeyi as I did not trust her in the slightest. I began to move towards my father to embrace him, but she swiftly put that to a stop. She did not let me father stand, and she did not let me get any closer.

I was confused by her actions, so naturally I questioned what she was doing. Kaikeyi began to explain the boons that my father owed her. She told me of my fourteen-year exile. I noticed the smirk on her face as she delivered the message. My father looked down in agony, as he could not come to terms with the events that were transpiring. I began to tremble with anger as Kaikeyi kept speaking. My father was being poisoned in the mind. I knew that I should not act out of anger. It was not the right time or place. However, I felt an uncontrollable urge consume me. I tried to fight it but it began to take over my body. In my frustration I let out a yell and lunged towards Kaikeyi...

(A photo of King Dasharatha as he is asked to banish Rama. Source:Wikimedia Commons)


Author's Note: My story is based on a retelling of two of the sections in the Ramayana Online. The sections follow the events that take place as Rama returns to his father and Kaikeyi. Rama is unaware of the events that have transpired recently. Kaikeyi has requested the banishment of Rama for the next fourteen years. King Dasharatha was forced to grant the boons that Kaikeyi requested. Rama accepts the terms of his banishment without hesitation out of the love he has for his father. I decided to take these events and create a story that had a unique ending. In the Ramayana, Rama leaves the palace to fulfill his banishment. I thought that it would be interesting to change Rama's mindset and have him take out his frustrations on Kaikeyi. I set up the story to where Rama was returning from a long journey. I also told it from a first person perspective to better capture Rama's mindset. I ended the story with a cliff hanger so that I could possibly continue the story for another week.

Bibliography: Ramayana Online from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. Source: Blogspot

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jake!

    This is definitely a more Western approach! We see so many honorable, patient, and tolerant sides of Rama, but I feel quite confident that he felt far more anger than was depicted in the Ramayana. In fact, I would enjoy reading more about Raging Rama (which might, somewhere, be a copyrighted wrestler's name), and your choice to use Kaikeyi as the mouthpiece for the bad news delivery is a great catalyst for Rama's anger. I wonder if this could be emphasized even further with dialogue from Kaikeyi?

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jake!
    I really enjoyed reading your story, “The Exiled Son.” I liked how from the original story you added a unique twist to the ending. Also I thought telling the story from a first person point of view allowed the audience to better know the main character, Rama. Overall, I think you did a great job and I can’t wait to read the next story you create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jake, it definitely makes sense and adds to the story to have Rama returning from a journey. It allows you to establish Rama's love for his father and his desire to please him. You also portray the joy in the kingdom which shows how the people love Dasharatha and Rama. I also liked how you described the situation as Dasharatha being poisoned by Kaikeyi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again Jake! I definitely thought the way you re-told this story made it much more readable than how the tale was in the PDE Ramayana online. A lot of those stories were really hard to read, and the way you have re-framed this story with modern language has made this a much more enjoyable story to read. Good job, and I look forward to reading more of these!

    ReplyDelete