Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Reading Notes: Ramayana Online, Part B

I read through the next twenty sections of the Ramayana today. I enjoyed quite a few of the different segments, but I decided to take notes over the two that I thought I would have the best time retelling. I focused my notes on those two sinceI have a good idea of how the storytelling should be done.

  • The emotional distress that the death of King D caused was apparent
  • It was an emotional scene that was captured well within the story
  • Bharata had no clue of the events that had been taking place recently
  • It was interesting to see that Bharata had no interest in assuming the throne
  • He vowed to return his brother Rama from the forest
  • I think this shows the loyalty that the brothers had for each other
  • This could also be seen from the fact that Rama did not venture exile alone
  • Bharata showed self restraint by not taking his frustrations out on the person that had caused such distress
  • I think the emotional level will be hard to recreate in a retelling
  • He was dealing with the death of his father like any other normal person would
  • He was confused by his father's actions and what the purpose of banishing his brother could have been
  • The people and the family wept for their fallen king and father
  • I think that it would be fun to explore this moment and tap into the emotions of everyone involved
  • The dedication that Bharata displays is of note
  • He is determined to find his brother that had been banished
  • In the end both brothers decided to honor the will of their father
  • I am sure that this decision was tough for them to accept 
  • However, they abide by what their father wished out of love and respect for him
(A photo displaying the birth of the brothers. Source: Wikimedia Commons)



Bibliography: Ramayana Online from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. Source: Blogspot

No comments:

Post a Comment