Sunday, January 28, 2018

My Feedback Thoughts

The two articles that I read reiterated a lot of the same thoughts that I have about receiving feedback. The first article (Overcoming the Fear of Feedback) and second article (Eight things to do when you make a mistake) can be found in those links. I think that there was a lot of great information contained in the two different articles. I think a lot of people struggle with receiving feedback due to the fear or not being perfect. The first article really addresses ways to overcome this damaging habit. I used to even struggle with receiving feedback because I was afraid of failure. I did not like the idea of having to address something that I did not complete to my standards. The second article really had some great tips for adjusting to failure and receiving feedback positively. I really like the suggestion of figuring out what you did wrong. I think often times people do not like to address what went wrong in their process. It is actually very helpful to just analyze what you did and identify a way you can improve.

We should not be afraid to receive feedback. It can be an extremely helpful tool in improving our creative process. I have adjusted to receiving feedback over the years, and I think it is such a valuable tool when it comes to learning. I initially learned to receive feedback through athletics. I would always try to apply the things that my coaches were telling me to my game. It was hard at times to not be negative and down on myself, but I think it helped me immensely in the long run. I learned that it was all about having a positive mindset. I would seek out my professors my freshman year for help when I was struggling to grasp a concept. They would often offer their advice and help me adjust my method of preparation and problem solving. I learned that feedback was a necessary part of the process.

(A photo of different faces regarding feedback. Source: Pixaby)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jake! I agree with you that people are afraid of being perfect because I too have this issue and want to be the best all the time. I too learned how to receive feedback through playing sports. I think that playing sports is a positive thing in terms of this because coaches usually teach kids how to get better and want to get better rather than just breaking kids down.

    ReplyDelete