Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Reading Notes: Ramayana Online, Part A

I found the wide variety of names and terms to be a bit confusing when I started to read. I decided to abbreviate names and other terms with one letter to make it easier on myself.


  • King D is stuck in a dilemma as he wants to produce an heir to his throne
  • He carries out the animal sacrifice to receive the god's blessing to have children
  • It was interesting to see that there was a separate storyline going on with Ravana
  • I did not expect to see Rama be born as a human avatar
  • Rama and his brother V went off to take care of the problems Ravana was starting
  • Rama gains possession of his celestial weapons after his first battle
  • The story of Ganga is interesting and I could use that for a story idea iteslf
  • I could do the same with Ahalya's story
  • I think that the love Rama has with Sita is interesting
  • I did not expect there to be more avatar's of different gods
  • The challenge to marry Sita reminds me of King Arthur and the sword
  • I was not surprised to see Rama bend the bow before everyone else
  • I liked the character of Para. I think he could play in integral role as he is also an avatar
  • I found the wedding ceremony to be confusing with the language used
  • I could probably retell it in a way that is easier to follow
  • King D is adamant on making Rama the next king
  • The many great traits of Rama and won over the hearts of the people
After reading the rest of the sections I decided that I liked the Rama is Banished and Rama Goes Into Exile the best. So, I took some notes on those sections.

  • The scene between Rama and his father is very intense and saddening
  • The grief that his father is going through is noticeable and very moving
  • Rama understands the will of his father
  • He does not protest to his banishment
  • It says a lot about Rama and his character
  • He wants to fulfill the will of his father and be the best son he can be
  • The scene was saddening to everyone involved. The attendants wept
  • Rama was unmoved and left
  • Sita is deeply loyal to Rama and vows to go with him on his journey
  • It was nice to see Rama's devotion to him as well
  • Rama, his wife, and brother set off for the forest
  • I thought it was of note that Rama's wife did not wear the bark as well
  • Sita did not have to be bound by the rules that Rama was bound to
  • I could not help but feel bad for Rama and the unfortunate events that had fell upon him
I think the last two sections I took notes over are very powerful and integral to the rest of the story. What happened to Rama was unfortunate, but I was happy to see his wife and brother would be accompanying him. I believe that these two sections would be a great story to retell in the future.

(A picture of statues representing Rama and Sita by Ayan Gupta. Source: Wikimedia Commons)


Bibliography: Ramayana Online from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. Source: Blogspot

No comments:

Post a Comment